Wednesday, August 02, 2006

News/Film - Lost City

Around this time last night I saw Cubans dancing across Miami and learned that Castro, for the first time in 47 years, had "temporarily" relinquished power to his brother. While it is still too early to interpret what this actually means for the "maximum leader", Cuba, and the future it is my hope that I will have the opportunity to be smoking Cubans in Havana sooner than later.

Anyway, the timing of this news was interesting, from my perspective, because I had just gone to see "The Lost City." By and starring Andy Garcia the film takes place in Cuba and follows a family during the revolution and was one of the best I have seen in recent memory. I'm not going to review it, but considering I had not even heard of it until my friend brought me to the theater to see it I thought I should get the word out. I suggest you at least look into it and if it looks like something you might be interested in seeing I strongly recommend it. And if that is not good enough for you I will add that Bill Murray is in it and (of course) steals the show.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 02 August, 2006 14:40, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know if i would be so bold as to claim that Bill Murray steals the show; he doesnt have enough screen time to pull that off nor do any of his lines further the plot. However the scenes that he is in, he definitely steals the spotlight, which is amazing considering he isn't the focal point of any scene. Quite an evolution from Caddyshack. If there's an award for best supporting, supporting actor he should definitely get it.

 
At 02 August, 2006 23:53, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with both of you. I have been thinking about that movie a lot since seeing it, and it was without a doubt the best movie I have seen this year. The overall production was incredibly complete and well planned out with excellent writing, acting and a strong sense of shot design. Dustin Hoffman throwing around Cuban Yiddish rocked too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home